Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar
Strawberries and balsamic vinegar are a classic pairing. The elegance of a good balsamic vinegar married to a freshly picked strawberry is timeless and easily achieved. This is especially good served over some vanilla ice cream, or a pound cake.
- 1 quart strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 pint blackberries or blueberries, optional
- 1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon high-quality balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish, optional
- Toss strawberries and other berries, if using, with the 1/4 cup sugar, and let sit for 10 minutes or longer. Do not refrigerate.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar; toss gently, then taste and add more sugar or vinegar if necessary. Sprinkle with the pepper, toss again, and serve, garnished with the mint, if you like.
Recipe from Mark Bittman, The New York Times